When it comes to endurance riding we all know that our horses need to be conditioned and fit. That much is pretty obvious! But what about the rider? If my horses have to be fit, should I be fit to make it easier on my horses as well? I am not just talking about weight, I know I have a much easier time riding when I'm fit than when I'm not. I don't get as sore after rides, I'm not as tired after long rides, I use my body better while riding, I can get off my horse and run with him up a steep hill instead of making him pack me up it. It seems like if I'm fitter and more functional on my horses it is easier for them too.
I'm not saying as a rider we have to be marathon runners or track stars. I'm not. But I think riders should be somewhat fit for long distance riding. I run to stay fit, and I'll admit I let myself "go" a bit over Christmas and the cold November/December/January months. I was still walking my dog 3 or so miles 4-5 days/week, but I stopped running and ate a lot of bad food over the holidays. Now with spring on the way, I'm kicking my butt back into shape and running again. For me, being about to run 3-5 miles does make me feel A LOT better in the saddle.
The other day I decided to take Little John with me on my run :) Why not? I ran 3 miles with him trotting beside me. I actually got the idea from another blog I read (http://inthenightfarm.wordpress.com/). It sounds silly, and my hubby thought I was a total goof, but it makes sense to me too. Gets my green horse out and active, even if a 3 mile trott without a rider isn't that much of a work out for him, it does get him out, seeing different things and getting used to going down the road. Works on his ground manners, trotting next to me at a nice distance and not lagging behind or going ahead. Plus if he's used to trotting out with me he'll be good for the vet in trott outs at endurance rides, I hope LOL! Plus it's just fun....I had more fun running with him and my dog (gets him used to crazy Lucy too! haha!) than I would alone.
Once Player is healed up (almost there!!) I'll take him on some runs too. I think I prefer having an equine running buddy to a human one :)
I used to always take Player on runs. I loved it. And its been to slippery to ride here, so Dodger goes on almost daily walks. Imagine the look on my friends faces when I tell them I'm going to take Dodger for a walk!
ReplyDelete